Following on from my links last week, here are more full text articles or papers for any writers, police officers, students or other interested parties! I have posted links to these on Twitter before but have had many new followers since and these may have easily been missed. I have divided these into two key areas. Firstly those which give a general overview of geographical profiling and look at the controversies that surround it. The second set look more specifically at the spatial behaviour in serial offences.
As before I hope these are of use. Please share these if you can and let me know what you think of these resources. Many thanks!
- Short BBC video on mapping crime and geographical profiling, link here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/mapping-crime-geographical-profiling/1128.html
2. What is Geographical Profiling? Find a useful and brief overview here: http://www.psychlotron.org.uk/newResources/criminological/A2_AQB_crim_geographicalProfiling.pdf
3. National Police Improvement Agency on the Geographical Profiler. Overview of use by the police in the UK here: http://www.npia.police.uk/en/6857.htm
4. Geographical profiling – the debate continues. http://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/11026/1/17.pdf
5. Good info on geographical profiling in this full text paper: Geographic Profiling: The Fast, Frugal, and Accurate Way. http://www.mun.ca/psychology/brl/publications/Snook12.PDF
6. A Comparison of the Efficacy of Different Decay Functions in Geographical Profiling for a Sample of US Serial Killers: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jip.45/pdf
The spatial behaviour of serial offenders
- Paper on theories of criminal behaviour that explain spatial choices of serial murderers http://davidcanter.com/uploads/spatial%20patterns%20of%20serial%20murder.pdf
2. Paper link: Spatial Patterns of Serial Murder: An analysis of disposal site location choice. http://davidcanter.com/uploads/spatial%20patterns%20of%20serial%20murder.pdf
3. Locations where serial murderers offend may be governed by implicit, if limited, rationality. Full text article here: http://davidcanter.com/uploads/spatial%20patterns%20of%20serial%20murder.pdf