Following on from my post last week, this is the first of a series of posts in which I will share links to research papers and articles. These have all been tweeted before but I am aware that they may be easily missed. The choice of these papers is entirely my own as I feel they give good overviews of the area of offender profiling and should be of use to writers, police and others who wish to research this further.
I have tried to include several critical papers as these show the different debates and arguments that surround this, sometimes controversial, practice. In coming weeks I will also be listing links to research on theories of criminality, the brain an crime, geographical profiling and anything else I think may be of interest. Please feel free to share the link to this and let me know if you think these are useful. I hope that proves the case!
Offender profiling research
- Book chapter by David Canter: Offender Profiling http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/8796/1/CanterOffender_Profiling.pdf
2. What are Offender profiling and Investigative Psychology about? An overview from David Canter here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jip.7/pdf
3. Profiling homicide offenders: A review of assumptions and theories. A useful source of information here http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359178908000025
4. The Organized/Disorganized Typology of Serial Murder: Myth or Model http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/8639/1/CanterOrganised.pdf
5. Excellent review of research testing foundations of offender profiling: Offender profiling & criminal differentiation http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/8637/1/CanterOffender.pdf
6. Critiques and Conceptual Dimensions to Criminal Profiling. Useful pdf chapter here: http://www.springerlink.com/content/t4720q5j00421t10/fulltext.pdf
7. A Review of the Validity of Criminal Profiling http://www.mun.ca/psychology/brl/publications/Eastwood-article.pdf
8. Link to interesting paper from Homicide Studies journal – Criminal Profiling: Real Science or just Wishful Thinking? http://www.docstoc.com/docs/2505686/Criminal-Profiling
9. Pragmatic solutions to offender profiling and behavioural investigative advice http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~jwinter/Alisonetal.10.pdf